Friday, August 13, 2010

Guinness so far

Basil & Guinness – They get along great. Basil has a very balanced personality and that was what we were looking for in a companion for him. Guinness is also very sweet and balanced. Neither of them try to dominate each other. They both play, run, tumble and wrestle with one another very evenly. So far we’ve had no problems with feeding them together. They both eat really fast. Guinn is a little bit of a messy eater and drinker. Basil is my neat one.

Guinness is very well-behaved and a good listener. He listens to “come” immediately. He can sit, come and walks on the leash nicely. Things we need to work on is not snatching at treats and not jumping on people when they enter the house. He listens well, so it’s easy to fix. We already trained him to ring the potty bell.

Guinness seems to have bonded to Basil and Keith already. Basil and Guinness were napping together on the living room chair and Basil had his head on Guinness’ behind. Then they went out for a car ride with Keith and they were both sitting nicely in the same seat on one side of the car. I wish I had a picture. It was so adorable. They sleep together in bed with us and seem closer laying like two pigs in a blanket which doesn’t leave much room for us. ;) I’m doing different things to try to bond with him as well – feeding, massages, walks.

Guinn has been moved a lot in recent months, so we’re trying to establish some stability and earn his trust. That will probably be our biggest challenge. Guinness seems to have a little anxiety as though we’re going to leave him. He’s a bit protective of Basil and Keith and we’re not sure if he’s being playful or defensive. We’re enrolling him in some obedience training at Wonder Dogs just to refine things. I feel terrible mommy-guilt. I try to balance the amount of affection I show both of them. I don’t Basil to feel left out, but I want to spend extra time to work with Guinness. Sometimes I wonder if Guinness will love me as much as Basil loves me? Basil took to me right away, but I guess it did take 4 months or so before he was entirely settled in.

Any suggestions on bonding with a new rescue?

No comments:

Post a Comment