Sunday, August 29, 2010

Basil takes out his frustration on Guinness

My neighbor and I were moving a big piece of furniture down the stairs so I put the boys in our master bedroom and shut the door to keep them safe. They were whimpering a little and tapping at the door because they heard my neighbor's voice but couldn't see what was going on. When I went back to open the door let them out, the boys were racing to get out to see who the voice was. Basil got frustrated that he couldn't get out of the room fast enough with Guinn pushing up against him and Basil did the snappy snarling sounding chest butting thing (as though they were fighting over food). That was one. I didn't think anything of it until…

Keith told me that when he took them to the vet last Thursday, someone came into the room with another dog and they both wanted to go greet and sniff the dog. Once again, Basil got frustrated that Guinn was "in his way" and they "got into it" again and Guinn suffered a little scratch on his lower lip (there was blood).

Then last night, we had company over including some other dogs. We did the appropriate thing and had them go outside and sniff the dog outside on the street before coming into "their" home. I thought all was good but as the boys were walking side by side towards the dog friend, Basil suddenly lashed out on Guinness again!! Guinn got a bad gash on his left ear and it was bleeding.

They had a lot of play dates last weekend and we noticed that when all the dogs are playing together, if one dog is showing attention to Guinn, Basil has to be the center of attention. Basil has always been this way and it's always been playful. We noticed Basil was more like "These are MY FRIENDS and I don't want you playing with MY friends." instead of a playful "Oh I want to be invovlved in the romping".

So it looks like when there is plenty of space, there isn't a problem but when Basil gets frustrated because he's not first, he takes it out on Guinness. I know it's still all so new and early for them living together but I am concerned.

OTHERWISE, the boys get along just GREAT! They eat in the same room with no incident, they play like there is no tomorrow, we nap together, gets love from everyone! And they are BOTH very GOOD DOGS. It just seems like when you throw Basil's ego in there, he upsets the other dogs a little and somedog gets hurt..usually Guinnie my boy.

1 comment:

  1. I would think the bulldog in him would make him more aggressive. That is great that he doesn't act up when eating especially because that is usually when aggression gets the worst I think. Sounds like he is just super spoiled and used to being the only dog. Maybe pull him away and give him a time out? Sounds like he needs to be corrected and maybe that is the best way? I am in no way a great dog trainer but that is my two cents. You could always get private instruction too.

    ReplyDelete