Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Health Update

Basil has been off his antibiotics and steroids for 2 weeks now. He weighs in at 24.5 lbs today.

Since he's been off his medicine, we noticed immediately that he was licking his front paws again a little bit. We called the vet and she said if it's real bad, then give him benedryl. Otherwise, it's just something we need to deal with and treat by cleaning him off after from coming outside and keeping up with his regular baths.

We still bathe him once a week with the medicinal shampoo. We clean his ears once a week (or less if needed). He LOVES getting his ears cleaned. I gently introduce the cotton balls to him so he knows what I'm going for. I start by wiping the inside tip of his ear and then he realizes it's soothing. So then I go for the gold and get all in there. He loves it!

Keith is the one who bathes him. He put a towel at the bottom of the bath tub which helps Basil feel a little more comfortable. He still runs away though when we turn the shower on. As soon as he's done, he comes running down the stairs and into my lap like he's running from a scary monster.

Over this last week, we noticed he's a lot licking more and scratching his neck. He's licking his front paws on the top side and his groin area. Then we saw a hot spot in his groan area and his testicles look a little raw. *I* have been wiping him down with a warm wet towel and spraying him with the anti-itch spray. He doesn't like the spraying action. He runs as soon as he sees the bottle. But he takes it well from me but runs from Keith ahahahahhaa He loves me more!

He's been sleeping all over the place - the couch, the rug, the carpet, his bed (which we never washed first), and our bed covers. I'm going to wash everything with hot water this weekend and no fabric softener and see if that helps. The rug is hard. I vacuum once to twice a week, but I'm sure there are still allergens.

Otherwise he's doing well and I hope he doesn't break out.

No comments:

Post a Comment