Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Quick Update

The boys are doing very well. As far as the house rules are concerned, both boys have to sit and wait before I let them outside. Guinness is the pushy one, so I make him wait and give Basil the okay to go first. They both know the routine now and I don't have to remind them all the time now.

The food bowl - we no troubles at the food bowl. Basil has his spot and Guinness has his spot. No matter who I feed first, the other doesn't try to make a run for it and eat it.

"Go get it" or "Go find it" and "come" - this is a game that our trainer plays often. Throw a treat within their line of sight and say "go get it" and then have them come back. It's mental exercise, tires them out and reinforces them to "come". I bought Wet Nose treats and they are awesome for this because they are tiny so the boys won't gain weight for having too many treats.

Prissy pants Basil won't lay "down" on his belly if the floor is cold (tile, linoleum). Well guess what? I had an apple and Guinness went right down! I praised him and he got an apple. Guess who went down on his belly on cold tile floor quicker than lightening after that? Yup. Prissy pants Basil.

The door - The door situation is still a work in progress. Basil is still reactive but quiets down after about 3 sets of "bark bark bark bark bark bark" I tell him "quiet!" and he knocks it off. When he's calm, he sits. Then he's allowed to be greeted. It does work. Our trainer Renee suggested that when we expect company we should keep Basil in the kitchen behind the baby gate but Guinness outside and teach him what is expected of him (sitting in his bed far from the door). I was stubborn and thought I should do the reverse since it's Basil I want to train out of this behavior. But Renee was right. It's a lot more manageable esp when people have already arrived to have Guinness out. Then Basil realized quickly that he gets no attention if he doesn't calm down. I want to practice more. I might start with Guinness. He knows what's expected. He goes right to his bed without being asked to. He can be the model for Basil.

Health - Basil had an ear infection a while back and it seems to have finally cleared up and gone away for good. In the past, they tend to linger. He licks his paws at night still even though we changed his food. I think he just does it out of boredom. Ellie Mae's mom tells her to "leave it" and she stops licking compulsively, so I started doing that with Basil and it works. Basil has gained a little weight since he hasn't had as much activity. Guinness is a good weight though. Basil also has a little raisen size wart on his lip that we're getting checked out. Guinness is in good health and has no allergies. Since changing his food to Honest Kitchen Zeal, his poop and digestion seems much better. His gas doesn't smell bad anymore and he doesn't gas as often. He smells good all the time. His booboo is doing a lot better. It's all healed and eventually his fur will grow out.

Otherwise they are happy. WE LOVE THEM! I don't know what I would do without them!!! I just hug them and love them to pieces everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment